This easy chocolate buttercream frosting is silky chocolate perfection! Made with cocoa powder, this not too sweet frosting is perfect for any cake or cupcake!
Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 0 minutes
Total Time: 5 minutes
Servings: 24 cupcakes
- 1 cup salted butter1 (at room temperature)
- 3 ½-4 cups powdered sugar2
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-3 tablespoons whole milk, half-and-half, or cream3
- With an electric mixer (either hand or stand), beat butter until pale, about 3-4 minutes on medium.
- Scrape down the bowl.
- Add 3½ cups powdered sugar, cocoa powder, vanilla, and 2 tablespoons of milk.
- Mix on low until powdered sugar and cocoa powder are incorporated.
- If the frosting is too dry, add another tablespoon of milk. If the frosting is too wet, add powdered sugar 2 tablespoons at a time until it reaches a spreadable consistency.
- You can use unsalted butter along with a couple pinches of salt. Also, be sure to have your butter at the right temperature. Room temperature means the butter should be about 72 F. The butter should give a little when pressed but should hold its shape overall. The butter shouldn’t be soft and melty.
- Third, if your powdered sugar and/or cocoa powder are lumpy, sift them before adding them into the butter. It will help them incorporate more easily into the butter.
- Using heavy cream will give you a slightly lighter, fluffier frosting. However, milk or half-and-half will also work.
- The difference in the color of the frostings pictured is the result of using different brands of cocoa powder.
- Nutrition facts have been estimated.